PepsiCo Unveils Better-For-You Vending Machines
Not a direct competitive threat to the c-store cold vault or snack aisle, but an interesting concept in better-for-you, on-the-go refreshment, PepsiCo announced the launch of a new, state-of-the-art food and beverage vending initiative called "Hello Goodness."
The vending unit offers good- and better-for-you product choices from the company's food and beverage portfolio, including Naked Juice, Smartfood Delight popcorn, Lay's Oven Baked potato chips, Quaker Real Medleys bars, Pure Leaf iced tea, Propel Electrolyte Water, Tropicana Pure Premium and Sabra Ready-to-Eat Hummus cups.
PepsiCo, Purchase, N.Y., will place several thousand units throughout the United States in 2016 in a variety of locations, including select health care, recreational, transportation, governmental, workplace and educational facilities.
"Consumers want more choice when it comes to what they eat and drink on-the-go, and we're providing the choices they want," said Kirk Tanner, chief operating officer for PepsiCo North America Beverages.
The Hello Goodness vending machine, also soon available in a beverage-only version, goes beyond the capabilities of traditional vending machines, according to the company. The new machines also include:
- A digital point-of-sale touch screen with product nutritional information.
- Suggested food and beverage pairing ideas for different eating occasions throughout the day.
- “Smart” capabilities that give PepsiCo real-time consumer preference insights to further inform future offerings.
- Dual climate-control shelving, allowing both perishable and nonperishable items to be vended together at the correct temperature.
- Cashless and digital vending.