The Convenience Store Products Hot 100: The Top 10
Revealing the Top 10 in our inaugural list of retailer-requested products
OAKBROOK TERRACE, Ill.-- 8,706. That’s the number of retailer requests we received for product information from Convenience Store Products so far this year, as well as from the Product Watch section ofCSP. Those nearly 9,000 requests on well over 500 products are the foundation of the inaugural Convenience Store Products Hot 100.
The list comes from the individual products featured in advertisements and editorial for the first two issues of the year (the August/September issue will be tabulated in the 2014 Hot 100) and the editorial Product Watch section in the first eight issues of the year of sister publication CSP.
After weeks of revealing the Hot 100, 10 by 10, we announce the Top 10. Peruse the top retailer-requested products of the year below, and visit our Current Issue for a full listing of the entire Hot 100.
10. On the Road Again Merchandising Solution, The Coca-Cola Co. The On the Road Again merchandiser emerged from the company’s Shopper Experience Innovation Center. It is designed to capture impulse buys and generate combo sales by placing beverages, snacks and foodservice items together.
9. M&M’s Chocolate Bar, Mars Chocolate North America. Mars took its legacy M&M’s brand and transformed it into a new addition to the candy-bar segment with the M&M’s Brand Chocolate Bar. The product has an SRP of $1.09 per bar.
8. Cravings Peanut Butter Cups, Quest Nutrition. Quest Cravings Peanut Butter Cups contain 20 grams of protein per serving, with 3 grams of active carbs and no added sugar. It’s made with chocolate rich in amino acids.
7. Tangy Zangy Twist Sticks Sour Wild Berry, Morris National. Morris National introduced this year a new flavor to its growing Tangy Zangy Twist Sticks lineup: Sour Wild Berry. It is available in a 5.64-ounce bag with an SRP of $1.49.
6. IMI Cornelius Viper and Signature FBD, United Fast Food & Beverage Service Corp. The top-ranked foodservice equipment on the Hot 100, the IMI Cornelius Viper, available through United Fast Food & Beverage Service, comes in two-, three- and four-barrel models.
5. Warheads Sour Twists, Impact Confections. The company rolled out Warheads Sour Twists in peg bags this year. The bags come in 4- and 5.75-ounce sizes and contain the same Sour Twists product as the rope-size package, but in bite-size pieces.
4. Chocolate Fudge Float Soda, AriZona Beverages. Late last year, AriZona Beverages relaunched this slightly carbonated soda made with milk and chocolate syrup. Available in 23-ounce cans, the drink contains 50 calories per serving.
3. Red Bull Editions, Red Bull. The top beverage in the Hot 100, Red Bull Editions were announced in October 2012 and hit the streets in March. Flavors include cranberry, lime and blueberry.
2. Day ’N Night Bites Calzones, Land Mark Products. After two years of development, Day ’N Night Bites rolled out three calzones formulated for the c-store industry earlier this year. It used the NACS Show to announce breakfast-focused additions to its calzones line.
1. Kit Kat Minis, The Hershey Co. Taking the top spot in the 2013 Hot 100, Kit Kat Minis debuted around the 2013 Sweets & Snacks Expo. The launch helped build Hershey’s share of hand-to-mouth-candy sales to nearly 25%, according to Nielsen figures.